‘National Congress May Budget Response’ Press Conference
From 10:30am* Wednesday 9th May 2018
SENATE COURTYARD – PARLIAMENT HOUSE – CANBERRA
Spokespersons: Co-Chair Rod Little & CEO Gary Oliver
National Congress of Australia’s First Peoples will be making a prepared statement based on our assessment of the May Budget. Here are a number of assessments we look forward to sharing with the media;
- National Congress will be providing a broad critique of how this May Budget is expected to impact positively or negatively on First Nations people across the country;
- National Congress will highlight where existing government programs and initiatives are either supported, or appear likely to be cut in the coming year(s) based on this May Budget;
- National Congress will share its view as to whether the May Budget is broadly supportive of First Nations-led organisations, decentralised policy development, self-determination and moving towards treaty;
- National Congress will put questions to the government about the May Budget and what this reveals about their prioritisation of improving the lives and wellbeing of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders.
National Congress spokespersons will take questions from media representatives at the press conference.
* Following on from the ACOSS Press Conference